Overdrive / MIDI Amp Channel Switcher
TS8-MS is the only MIDI-enabled Analog Overdrive & MIDI Switcher in a classic guitar effect pedal! It can be used concomitantly as a classic tubescreamer guitar effect and guitar amplifier channel switcher. It responds to MIDI Program Change and Control Change messages for all its switching functions, which perform simultaneously in either MIDI Receive or in MIDI Transmit mode. It can also be used as a simple MIDI-Controller, transmitting 3 presets (Program Change numbers) while foot-switching between Bypass, Effect, and Extended (Long-Push).
This pedal was designed to blend the sweetest sounding overdrive with the versatility of a MIDI amp channel switcher. It proves to be more than just a great tubescreamer, it is a versatile tool in the hands of a musician.
Handbuilt to order. Estimated assembly time: 10-14 working days.
TS8-MS is the only MIDI-enabled Analog Overdrive & MIDI Guitar Amp Channel Switcher in a classic and tiny guitar effect pedal!
The TS8-MS is an analog circuit with a classic 808 tubescreamer feel and with added quirks. Alongside being an overdrive effect, it combines MIDI functionalities and switching capabilities. It can be used as a MIDI amp channel switcher, making it a reliable, one-of-a-kind tool for guitarists. We call it the Swiss Army Knife of Tone. The TS8-MS responds to MIDI Program Change (PC) and MIDI Control Change (CC) messages for all of its switching capabilities: bypass and external switching. It can even be used as a very simple MIDI Controller! On footswitch action, TS8-MS transmits three MIDI Program Change numbers, one for each pedal state: Bypass, Overdrive, and Extended (long push on the footswitch). A 16-position Multi-Function Switch inside the pedal assigns a switching pattern for the two independent Switching Relays, in relation to the pedal’s state (Bypass, Overdrive, or Extended). This pattern is applied to footswitch action alone and is independent of the MIDI-controlled switching capabilities. With this function, for example, this single pedal can control the amplifier’s channel and an external multi-effects unit, on top of being an overdrive effect.
The TS8-MS does not store presets. A programmable MIDI Controller (i.e. Rocktron Midimate, etc.) must be configured with the appropriate MIDI messaging to which the TS8-MS will respond. Please read the manual and the quick setup guide for a better understanding of how it works.
From smooth overdriven tone to rawer distortion voicing
- Classic – symmetric clipping with Silicon diodes, used for classic tubescreamer feel & sound, where more saturated compression is needed.
- Asymmetric – also using Silicon diodes, provides a bit of air into the clipping and adds a little more gain; it really helps with higher gain amplifiers.
- Custom – it comes with our selection of LEDs. This mode is better for an almost clean sound or as a boost in the lower gain settings. In the higher gain setting, it provides a wilder distortion.
In any voicing, the playing dynamic is gracefully complemented by dynamic, tube-like, musical distortion with gentle recovery. When using TS8-MS, the instrument’s volume control suddenly becomes your new best friend! Higher gain settings reveal more clipping, compression, and singing sustain, especially with Classic and Asymmetric modes, while LED’s make the pedal behave more like a distortion effect.
In summary, what you can do with the TS8-MS?
- Use it as a regular overdrive pedal. This is one of the sweetest-sounding analog overdrive/tubescreamer out there. Based on the legendary TS 808 platform, the TS8-MS is our take on modding the vintage original for better lower-end response, cleaning up better in the low-gain setting, and rendering crisper and better-structured overdrive in the higher gain setting for a better cut in the mix. On top of that, we added three clipping options to chose from, for expanding its sonic versatility: from creamy classic drive to airy asymmetric harmonics injection, to powerful distortion. The all-analog signal path is built with high-grade parts such as WIMA & KEMET plastic film capacitors, low tolerance metal film resistors, and properly shielded 4-layers PCB with Gold-plated tracing for a lifetime of endurance. With TS8-MS you can always be sure you will make a tube amp scream with focused definition.
- Add MIDI channel switching to your amplifier. This is not a small feat. Most amplifiers don’t respond to MIDI commands sent from an external MIDI controller, which asks for a specialized device to switch channels remotely. TS8-MS pedal includes a MIDI amp channel switcher.
- Engage the Overdrive remotely with MIDI. With TS8-MS you not only switch the channels on an amplifier remotely, but you can also activate the Overdrive in front of any channel with MIDI commands – PC and/or CC. This is especially useful if you have the pedals in a rack.
- Use it as a dead-simple MIDI controller transmitting only three PC presets. At times, you may want a very skinny setup for switching channels on an amplifier, place the Overdrive effect in front of that channel (or not), and switch a multi-effect like a delay or reverb on the push of a footswitch. All at once, with one pedal, simple as “one, two, three”. For example, press the footswitch to set the overdrive in bypass, switch the amp to clean channel and send MIDI PC#1 to a multi-effect like Eventide H9 for reverb, then press the footswitch again to engage the overdrive, switch the amp to a crunch channel and send MIDI PC#2 to the multi-effect for a different preset, and finally, long-press the footswitch to change the amp channel again (or not), have the overdrive engaged (or not) and send MIDI PC#3 to the multi-effect for a delay or something else. Neat, right?
Available in mini format
For those not requiring the MIDI switching sophistication, we released a mini version of this circuit – the Ziffer Overdrive. Backed up by Jordan Ziff (guitarist at Hot Crazy, Ratt, and Marty Friedman band) and offering the same core tonal characteristics as the TS8-MS, the Ziffer also features a Deep switch to enhance Lows in the clipping stage, plus two additional trimmers: a Mix control to blend Clean Dry over the Overdriven Wet and a Dry EQ control to inject either Flat Clean or enhanced Highs/Lows. This adds more options for fine-tuning the screamer on single coils or bass instruments, so check it out.
Note! An external power supply is not included with the product. Our pedals have recessed DC Power Connectors which require a 12mm long barrel plug.
|Dimensions||120 × 61 × 31 cm|
Classic 808 sounding analog overdrive, made with highest quality components, in a compact, low profile design;
Input impedance: 500KΩ